Is BitTorrent safe?

Tpixelminer

I am new to Bit torrent and have already had four warnings from companies saying they represent the owners of the work,they are making it look legal and asking to settle with them before proceedings are taken against me.

Does anyone else experience this and what can be done?

Sorry that i posted in this thread but tried to start new topic and its asking for tags, i don't know what that is.

@Harry Hotspur  Send a reply email to these "companies" asking for proof of legal authority. If they are real, I guess your screwed. You should use a VPN or public wifi to hide your ip. Normally ISP's will send warnings to you before disclosing your information to the companies who are trying to catch you. Probably phony but you should just follow up. Be careful whenever you use a torrent. 

So really its not safe to download from bit torrent? apparently the owners of the copyright pay companies to scan torrent downloads and contact your server to to deliver their message,strange thing is the last two warnings were for downloads at the end of April and the owner of the material is based in Cyprus with a Canadian company called Canipre sending me the info to contact them to pay before they start legal proceedings.I have been told that it is not legal yet in Canada but still worrying.

Telling me not to delete evidence as it's illegal in case the authorities want to review.

27 minutes ago, Tpixelminer said:

@Harry Hotspur  Send a reply email to these "companies" asking for proof of legal authority. If they are real, I guess your screwed. You should use a VPN or public wifi to hide your ip. Normally ISP's will send warnings to you before disclosing your information to the companies who are trying to catch you. Probably phony but you should just follow up. Be careful whenever you use a torrent. 

How do you be careful using torrent? i am a complete rookie and got caught almost immediately.

Archived