Requesting help with BitTorrent problem

jimmo

Please help me.

I am having a problem with my torrents. In the Status column of the BitTorrent queue, there are red bars of color going across all my seeds and active downloads. I take this to mean there is something malfunctioning, as normally those red bars are not present. What, if anything, may I do to fix this? Or will a BT sff member have to look into my situation?

I currently have four torrents seeding and three downloading, although they are all probably not downloading or seeding at present.

Is there a limit to how many total torrents--downloads and seeds--one may have running simultaneously? I noticed there is a setting in the Preferences section of the Options menu to change the total active torrents and downloads. Should I change this to reflect my current torrents, or leave alone? I have normally just run the test from the green check mark in the bottom right of the queue, especially when the green check is yellow for a prolonged period, and that test sets the active torrents to "4" and downloads to "3."

Also, the message in the "Status" list of the "Trackers" tab, under the BT queue, reads "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." I have never seen anything like this, and am assuming something to be seriously wrong.

If it would be of help, I can also send an attachment of a "PrintScreen" to a BT staff member, in order that someone may see how my BT queue actually appears. Please just tell me how to send it to the appropriate party.

Thank you,

Jim

Also, the message in the "Status" list of the "Trackers" tab, under the BT queue, reads "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." I have never seen anything like this, and am assuming something to be seriously wrong.
That indicates that the tracker address in question is closed, either the tracker application isn't running because it crashed, or the tracker is outright closed and won't come back.

That indicates that the tracker address in question is closed, either the tracker application isn't running because it crashed, or the tracker is outright closed and won't come back.

What does all this mean? Does this mean I will have to begin all those torrents again from scratch? Does this also mean that I will not be able to continue seeding the four seeds I had running?

Does this mean some technical issue was the cause of this, or that the website from which I obtained the torrents stopped them all?

And you didn't explain if there is a limit to how many active torrents total, as well as downloads, I may have running at once, or if I may change the settings to increase the numbers of total torrents and downloads?

Thank you,

Jim

I continue to have unanswered questions about this issue, the history of which is below, and the still-unanswered questions in bold text--

Please help me.

I am having a problem with my torrents. In the Status column of the BitTorrent queue, there are red bars of color going across all my seeds and active downloads. I take this to mean there is something malfunctioning, as normally those red bars are not present. What, if anything, may I do to fix this? Or will a BT sff member have to look into my situation?

I currently have four torrents seeding and three downloading, although they are all probably not downloading or seeding at present.

Is there a limit to how many total torrents--downloads and seeds--one may have running simultaneously? I noticed there is a setting in the Preferences section of the Options menu to change the total active torrents and downloads. Should I change this to reflect my current torrents, or leave alone? I have normally just run the test from the green check mark in the bottom right of the queue, especially when the green check is yellow for a prolonged period, and that test sets the active torrents to "4" and downloads to "3."

If it would be of help, I can also send an attachment of a "PrintScreen" to a BT staff member, in order that someone may see how my BT queue actually appears. Please just tell me how to send it to the appropriate party.

Thank you,

Jim

Posted Today, 06:24 PM

Posted Today, 06:58 PM

Harold Feit, on 26 February 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Posted Today, 07:07 PM

What does all this mean? Does this mean I will have to begin all those torrents again from scratch? Does this also mean that I will not be able to continue seeding the four seeds I had running?

Does this mean some technical issue was the cause of this, or that the website from which I obtained the torrents stopped them all?

And you didn't explain if there is a limit to how many active torrents total, as well as downloads, I may have running at once, or if I may change the settings to increase the numbers of total torrents and downloads?

Thank you,

Jim

I had four torrents seeding and three active downloads running in my BitTorent client, all from the website xtremetv.org. They have all stopped running, and I received a reply from a BT staff member that this is either because there was a system "crash" (presumably on the part of xtremetv.org) or the tracker stopped these torrents for some reason(s).

So, what I would still like to know is if I should leave these torrents loaded in my BT client, in case this problem was a crash and is eventually resolved by xtremetv.org, or if xtremetv.org has, for some other reason(s), been shut down, gone out of business, etc. and I should delete these torrents?

Will the seeds return to seeding and the downloads to downloading if xtremetv.org resolves whatever technical issue caused this crash (if it was a "crash"), or would I have to begin all these torrents from scratch?

Is there any possibility that xtremetv.org closed my account, without informing me? I did not violate their torrents limits, to my knowledge, and their website seems to be down when I checked it from a computer other than my own. This leads me to believe that the problem is one of a technical or legal nature, not one of just myself losing a connection to xtremetv.org.

The other question I had asked, and which went unanswered, is if one may set the Preferences (in the Options menu of BT) for the BitTorrent client to process more than four (4) active torrents (downloads and seedings) and three (3) downloads simultaneously, or if those numbers of four and three are by default for every user at the "free" (non-premium) level of BitTorrent, and may not be increased?

Thank you,

Jim

There was no need to open two new threads on your issue in addition to replying to the original thread. It is actually rude, and wasteful of both your time and mine (as well as anyone else reading the forums). Please remember this in the future.

Is there a limit to how many total torrents--downloads and seeds--one may have running simultaneously? I noticed there is a setting in the Preferences section of the Options menu to change the total active torrents and downloads. Should I change this to reflect my current torrents, or leave alone?
Theoretical limit? no. Practical limit? yes. You should NOT change this now that it has been tuned to your connection. If you want specific downloading torrents to have priority over your existing ones, move them up the queue.
So, what I would still like to know is if I should leave these torrents loaded in my BT client, in case this problem was a crash and is eventually resolved
Give them time to resolve it, but don't expect it to. Move any torrents you want with a higher priority up the list (you can't do that with seeding torrents, but BitTorrent handles that automatically so don't worry about it). After a while you may need to seek a new source for them.
Is there any possibility that xtremetv.org closed my account, without informing me?
Considering how the site is behaving in general, no (down for everyone).

There was no need to open two new threads on your issue in addition to replying to the original thread. It is actually rude, and wasteful of both your time and mine (as well as anyone else reading the forums). Please remember this in the future.

Theoretical limit? no. Practical limit? yes. You should NOT change this now that it has been tuned to your connection. If you want specific downloading torrents to have priority over your existing ones, move them up the queue.

Give them time to resolve it, but don't expect it to. Move any torrents you want with a higher priority up the list (you can't do that with seeding torrents, but BitTorrent handles that automatically so don't worry about it). After a while you may need to seek a new source for them.

Considering how the site is behaving in general, no (down for everyone).

Hi Harold :) :

Sorry, I realize one of those threads was a re-hash of previous issues. I only opened it again because it had been some time that had passed, and my original post hadn't received a thorough answer to all my questions. I thought maybe the reply itself could not be seen by BT staff, since it was an "old" issue. Now I know that is not the case.

:huh: But the second new thread I opened was because I genuinely thought it to be a new dimension of the problem, related specifically to xtremetv.org, which I hadn't specifically mentioned in the first post I made.

I also thought if I opened it with xtremetv.org's name included in the subject of the thread, others with the same or similar issues might join in with their experiences, since I didn't assume that a BitTorrent staff person would necesarily use the same file-sharing source (meaning xtremetv) as do I.

By the way, is there a general term used for the source websites of the torrents we download with our BitTorrent client? Like, for instance, BT and other, similar torrent-downloading programs (such as uTorrent, etc.) are referred to as "bit torrent clients." But what are sites such as xtremetv.org, thepiratebay, demonoid.me, etc. called :unsure: ?

Also, in all of my previous BT threads, it has been yourself who has replied to them. Are other, fellow BT users also permitted to respond to the thread posts of their fellow users, or only BT staff? Because, sometimes, I could envision situations where experienced fellow users might also be of assistance.

Now this is merely a direct "Reply" to your last reply to me, not a "new thread." So I assume this is all I need do to communicate with you, unless and until a competely new and unrelated issue ensues, correct? (I even used the "Edit" function, to add this paragraph to my reply). I understand you to mean that one should keep a discussion ongoing, to never open a new thread until one has a completely separate issue, which would, under most circumstances, also be some considerable amount of time away from the last thread.

Thank you ;) ,

Jim

But what are sites such as xtremetv.org, thepiratebay, demonoid.me, etc. called :unsure: ?

Torrent sites.

Also, in all of my previous BT threads, it has been yourself who has replied to them. Are other, fellow BT users also permitted to respond to the thread posts of their fellow users, or only BT staff?
Others are permitted to respond, but we don't permit usage support for completed downloads, nor do we permit recommending or linking older versions.

Torrent sites.

Others are permitted to respond, but we don't permit usage support for completed downloads, nor do we permit recommending or linking older versions.

Hi again, Harold (or do you prefer "Harry?"):

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by this? Will you please elaborate or explain it to me?

I inferred you meant that you may not discuss torrents I have already downloaded.

But I am not at exactly sure what you mean by "recommending or linking older versions?" :unsure:

So far as I know, I am not using the "older version" of the xtremetv.org website, or that all the torrents I downloaded from that torrent site are older (I would have to, if possible, check the dates that each torrent was originally uploaded).

I mean, many people download older (films and TV series') torrents from these torrent sites anyway. It has been my experience that many older TV series' have less seeds than newer, more popular TV series'. But other than that, I don't see what would be the problem.

By the way, not to violate other users' confidentiality, but, in general, may you tell me if you have heard from others about this xtremetv.org situation?

Or have you, yourself possibly, also had this problem with xtremetv.org, either now or in the past? And is it not that unusual for torrent sites, from time to time, to crash or go off-line?

Do you enjoy downloading torrents of films and/or TV shows yourself? Are you, like Sy Sperling, "not only the BitTorrent support staffer, but also a (BitTorrent) client?" [The reference here, if you are not familar, is a line from a TV infomercial for a company called "Hair Club For Men," the president of which is a guy named Sy Sperling. I'm trying to be a little bit friendly and conversational here, Harry, not merely be a robotic user seeking only solutions to my torrents' problems.]

If so, what have been some of your greatest :o discoveries or "finds" from torrents sites?

Thank you :) ,

Jim

By "older versions" I'm referring to the BitTorrent client specifically.

Oh, so you are saying that BitTorrent will not permit its support staff to help users who have not installed the most recent version of BT.

Well, to be perfectly honest about that, I have read (right here in these forums) so many users having problems with the latest version of BT, I have chosen to just keep the one I have for now, or until a later version is developed which has fewer kinks and is more generally and favorably regarded by more users.

But you may tell whoever are the "powers that be" at BT that if the product was good enough to release in the first place, they should stand by their older versions and continue to give support for such, for those who elect to continue using it. I am certainly not the only one using a previous version of BT. Nor is BT the only program for which I continue to use a previous version, for the same, stated reasons.

If I knew, or had some reason(s) to be concerned that the version of BT I am using was not performing at an optimum level, or that, for instance, the BT program is causing this problem I am having with my current downloads and seeds, I would not hesitate to install the current BT version. But, to my knowledge, such is not the case.

If you may convince me otherwise, with some specificity, I am open to receiving to your reasoning,

The primary reason for not supporting older versions has to do with the number of people still insisting on holding on to legacy versions that receive no new development or bugfixes.

There will only be bugfixes and development upgrades to new versions, and as such problems in old versions can and likely will be ignored until people upgrade.

Archived