BitTorrent opens by itself at startup

xyzdig

Can confirm I have the same issue. I will expand a bit more on it tho. It seems like the settings don't reference correctly what BitTorrent does at startup, because whether you tick to start/start minimized, BT always opens up in a full blown window on torrents list page. This happened whether I closed BT b4 restarting or left it open. It also happens when I reinstalled it (also deleted settings for fresh install) and again, same situation as I described.

I also started having this problem 2 days ago when it started showing ads for "Nuts!" (Image attached).
I have my settings set to start minimized. 

I'm ok with closing this screen on startup for now but I came because there is not a way to view my current torrents. 
I checked the menu options but I can't get this ad to hide so I can view my current torrents. 

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Have been using BT for quite some time to my satisfaction, but this issue arose after installing an update somewhere in the last two months:

1. I looked at the start-up option under preferences. It was unchecked

2. Looked in my Windows start-up folder, wasn't there.

3. I then checked the option 'Start BitTorrent when Windows Starts'. Saved it, closed down Windows. Restarted. BT started up (as expected this time). Unchecked, saved and restarted Windows. BT did NOT start up! Alas, the next time it was there again at start-up.

4. I uninstalled BT and re-installed it (7.10 build 44091). Unchecked the start-up option under preferences. Saved, closed, restarted Windows.

5. Didn't help, BT is started every time I start Windows.

Note: I explicitly close BT before shutting down Windows.

OS : Windows 10 Home, version 1709, OS build 162.299.125

PC : HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p0XX

Edited by brekelm

• 2 weeks later...

Me too...started about January 4, 2018. I've ran bittorrent for years never had this issue. I've unchecked the "run bittorrent at startup" option. It doesn't make a difference if the program is running or not when I shut down, it still starts back up automatically : ( I have no active torrents down/uploading....appreciate any help thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:08 AM, brekelm said:

I have the same issue. Have been using BT for quite some time to my satisfaction, but this issue arose after installing an update somewhere in the last two months:

1. I looked at the start-up option under preferences. It was unchecked

2. Looked in my Windows start-up folder, wasn't there.

3. I then checked the option 'Start BitTorrent when Windows Starts'. Saved it, closed down Windows. Restarted. BT started up (as expected this time). Unchecked, saved and restarted Windows. BT did NOT start up! Alas, the next time it was there again at start-up.

4. I uninstalled BT and re-installed it (7.10 build 44091). Unchecked the start-up option under preferences. Saved, closed, restarted Windows.

5. Didn't help, BT is started every time I start Windows.

Note: I explicitly close BT before shutting down Windows.

OS : Windows 10 Home, version 1709, OS build 162.299.125

Same EXACT PROBLEM here!!  I even checked Windows Startup Shell and Bittorent was not showing up as a "startup" program.....   Maybe use a different Torrent program? hmmmm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2018 at 4:51 PM, DigiDean said:

Has anyone found a solution for this problem of BitTorrent starting on windows startup when it is not supposed to?

If you're using Windows 10, I'm sure I read that programs running before the PC is shutdown were automatically started again when the PC is booted up.  So regarding BitTorrent, un-checking the "Start BitTorrent when Windows Starts" option won't make the slightest bit of difference if the program is running when PC is shutdown.

If this is the case, the only solution is to Exit BitTorrent before shutting down the PC.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Probably what people were doing who had this problem was "x" out the program each time Bittorrent opened.  Since "x"ing out doesn't actually "exit" the program, it kept returning at each Windows reboot.  All you have to do is hit the Exit in Bittorrent at the bottom of the left pulldown menu and then it will not return at next Windows reboot since it will not have been open prior to exiting Windows the last time.