Question about peer-id

Jayceno0

So i've read that bittorent by default will hide your peer-id (anonymize) when connecting to public trackers but not private trackers? This is where my issue comes in. I was banned from a private tracker for inactivity, and was able to obtain a new account. I don't want them to re-ban me if they see my torrent client which is associated with the same peer-id and ban be right away. My question is, is there a way to change this peer-id? If I do a complete reinstall, and copy over my Appdata folder will the peer-id be in there and I will have the same (bannable) peer id again? I'd rather not do a complete reinstall without restoring the appdata folder and my dl list as I have many thousand torrents from various trackers on there. Thanks in advance for your help!

1 hour ago, Harold Feit said:

Peer IDs are per launch of BitTorrent at minimum. The randomize peer id function randomizes them multiple times in a launch of BitTorrent.

Hi Harold, according this description in the manual it does not randomize for private torrents. I'm trying to find a way to show the private torrent I am using a new peer-id so that it doesn't associate me with my old peer-id. Preferably without having to do a fully reinstall and losing all my file list. Thanks.

bt.randomize_peer_id: Disabling this option tells BitTorrent not to change peerid on every connection. It still uses unique one for tracker, and should also be random limit. This randomization is not being used for private torrents

Archived