Help, seeding

katieleanne

• 2 weeks later...

Red means there's a tracker error.

thank you, so is this a bad thing ? will it effect anything that im downloading?

I am also new to BT and I have no idea as to what SEEDING means.

Would like some help on this subject please. :):D

From what I can gather seeding things makes it easyer and faster for other people to download what ever you have downloaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of new too, but I have learned the basics of the process concerning seeding, and maybe my explanation will help. A torrent file resides in pieces over many computers. You download from peers, which are other persons' computers like yours that contribute pieces of the complete file until you have downloaded the whole thing. A seed is a computer that has obtained the whole file. You will not get the whole thing unless a seed becomes part of you peer group and which makes available the last little piece needed to complete your download (I have often gotten 99% or a little more of a file but never finished it because no seeds were available). Most of the time while you are downloading a torrent file, you are also uploading certain of the pieces you already have to those in your peer group who need them. Once your computer has obtained 100% of the file you wanted to download, you now become a seed yourself and the torrent trackers use you to to upload remaining pieces needed to complete the downloads of others in your peer group trying to get the same torrent file. When you become a seed, the bar in the status column on your main page of Bittorrent says "seeding". It is good torrent etiquette to allow your computer to seed to other peers needing your file contribution. If there were no seeds, a particular torrent would die out because over time, pieces will become missing and no one could then obtain a complete file. I have unfortunately encountered plenty of these incomplete torrents.

• 1 month later...

Archived