Is this a community forum or not?

spamcatcher

I've posted a couple of comments and suggestions on a couple of different threads, only to have them removed by you with no explanation. Or Mr Feit, is this you own little private forum? I just checked my personal message file and there's nothing there.

So, I am a part of this community and I have the right to post. If you disagree with what I suggest, then by all means answer back.

Within my suggestion posts I only suggest things that have worked for me. I have noticed that you are extremely knowledgable, so if I'm off-base in my suggestions then I would appreciate you telling me where I'm wrong.

I'm not attempting a debate here, because I'm sure that is against community forum rules, but I think I have a right to my opinions.

Now if this is your own private forum, then you need to change your advertising, because it says "community forum" not "private domain".

The problem is, your posts demonstrated an ignorance as to what was actually causing the problem users were having.

Recommending adding trackers to torrents PROVES this to me, mainly because of http://www.ktetch.co.uk/2012/07/multi-tracker-ignorance-or-why-you-dont.html

It's not a personal domain, but if you're going to recommend things that only waste resources of systems and don't actually solve problems, you need to expect the posts to be removed.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am suggesting things "that have WORKED for me" in similar situations as posed by the member making the inquiry. So if they worked for me, then in my mind, I'm not recommending bad things.

You know computing...most of what we discover about solution solving, comes from trial and error.

Also...not to debate(I don't want to step on toes), but ktetch is expressing an opinion in a "private domain" and is entitled to their opinion, but adding trackers can and does help in the search for additional "seeders". As you know, the more seeders in the swarm, the faster my download. Once again it WORKS for me.

And I was right about deleting the Bit Torrent folder in the "hidden" Application Data folder too. If you don't do that when uninstalling a bittorrent client, you can't get a fresh install.

But I do want to thank you for responding...you're a gentleman and a scholar and I appeciate it.

I added 3 trakers and got 4 additional "seeds"(not peers) that weren't there before.

You can read blogs and go by the book, but did you or ktetch provide an actual answer to the question that was posed about "why did the openbittorrent tracker shut down during his download?" I think your answer was anti-virus software blocking related and I think the answer was that his download is a private torrent and the 2 trackers that were still functioning were the only trackers that could provide any data for that private torrent.

I suggested trying additional trackers in the hopes that they could find additional seeds because that has worked for me...but if I'm wrong...you have my sincere apology.

and I think the answer was that his download is a private torrent

Then you are patently wrong. If the torrent were private, DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer exchange would have said "Not Allowed" instead of "Waiting for Announce" and "Working"

I suggested trying additional trackers in the hopes that they could find additional seeds because that has worked for me...but if I'm wrong...you have my sincere apology.

Considering that Ktetch actually came to ME to help with that article (not me just looking at it), coupled with the fact that I've been working with torrents for ten years,

Well it is a private torrent, even though the picture doesn't show it. I also recognize the uploader [AAC] as being a private torrent uploader.

It for sure isn't anti-virus related.

Openbittorrent and publicbt timed out because they don't track private torrents...and I know that from experience because I've DL'd from private torrents before.

Hey looky here! we're having an open discussion! That's exactly what this "community forum" was created for.

So getting back to my main topic, I still feel that you should have left my posts on those threads. Right or wrong, as a member of the community I have the right and in some respects the obligation to comment on this forum. This is an open forum. I would think that you would welcome other comments and suggestions from other members...it would take some of the pressure off of you.

And when I say I'm a member, I mean a member in good standing. I checked my transfer #s today and I've DL'd 39.4 GB and seeded 209.4 GB, (last 31 days) which puts me well above the 1.5 ratio. And I think my posts should be allowed to remain on the threads. If I was cursing or threatening then you would have grounds for pulling the posts, but I wasn't. I don't think just being wrong in my guessing or giving a suggestion that doesn't apply is reason for pulling mine (or anyones) post off a thread.

Like if some other member wanted to comment on this thread, I WOULD WELCOME the comment. I would read it and determine whether it had any validity or not myself. I certainly wouldn't object to the opinion solely because the commentor might not agree with my point of view.

I hope you see what I getting at.

Well it is a private torrent,

Sorry, it's not. The private flag disables DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer Discovery on a per-torrent basis. That user's torrent is NOT private.

And when I say I'm a member, I mean a member in good standing. I checked my transfer #s today and I've DL'd 39.4 GB and seeded 209.4 GB, (last 31 days) which puts me well above the 1.5 ratio.

Sorry, but what does that have to do with anything here?

Archived