How do I stop a download, but keep in my client to satisfy private tracker reuirement for seeding?

jimmo

How do I stop torrents downloading in my BT client, while still keeping the torrents active to seed back (if any leeches should download what I already have), to fulfill my private tracker's requirement that I leave active for 72 hours, so I will not receive a warning? My situation is I began downloading from this private tracker's site, but then discovered another public tracker which has a much faster seeding of these same torrents. I hope I have adequately described my problem, as I am not an experienced torrents' user. I generally don't stop torrents once I begin downloading. But this one is very slow seeding, so I hope to be able to grab the faster one if I may. But I won't do so until I am sure the first one is safely stopped and will not violate the rules of my private tracker. Please leave me some simple, step-by-step directions on how to proceed with this issue. If need be, I may attach a screen cap of my client in another message, if it would help whomever of you to help me. Thank you.

Harold is right about "don't download."

Your step-by-step is: Open the BitTorrent interface, then press F5, then select the "Files" tab. Once in the files, Highlight the file(s) that are being dl'd and right click for the menu. Then select "Don't Download".

That will stop the dl, but allow seeding to continue.

You can also browse the other features on the "Details" interface.

Your step-by-step is: Open the BitTorrent interface, then press F5, then select the "Files" tab. Once in the files, Highlight the file(s) that are being dl'd and right click for the menu. Then select "Don't Download".

Okay, I did what you say, and then the only thing I noticed is those files all changed to "Skip" in the "Priority" column. Then I saw a message that quickly flashed "Flushing (something)" back in the top part of the client, and then I received a message that the torrent was finished downloading in my system tray, and now the torrent has been completely removed from my client. I think something went wrong.

Actually, I opened up the Sidebar and selected the Torrents or Completed view and the torrent reappeared. Evidently I had the "Active" view on. Now I see the torrent is seeding back what I downloaded thus far. So I will leave that doing so for the required time of my tracker site. Thank you. I'm afraid I am even less knowledgeable than you assumed, didn't know what you meant by "interface" in the context of BitTorrent. But I figured it out once I saw what the F5 key did to the appearance of the client. Do you happen to know if there is some course one could take in torrenting--either online or, preferably, an old-school, in-classroom-with-teacher type course. That is how I learned much of what I know in terms of general computer science, and am willing to try anything that might help me with torrenting, or video skills on the computer generally. My other problem is even my best friend, who is the IT guy at his place of business, is challenged when it comes to some computer video issues. So I think if I could learn some of this stuff, I might be helping two people. If you know of anything in this regard, please let me know. And thank you very much for getting me out of this mess. I appreciate it more than you know.

Set the files in the torrent to "don't download"

But your issue with the ratio enforcement and tracking site (yes, they effectively spy on you) is common to all the ones that have administrators that don't understand how the protocol works.

Thank you Harold. Your advice was good. The only thing is my knowledge of BT is even more limited than you realized, so "spamcatcher" came in with some reinforcement. I appreciate your help, as I was in quite a pickle. If you know of some general torrenting course one may take (either online or if there is something that might be offered in a general video for computer skills course at a local community college, etc.), I would really benefit from such. If there are no courses on torrenting, then maybe someone such as yourself could find a secondary career in teaching others this subject. But I think many would benefit from learning general video skills on the computer, to learn basic skills such as video conversion, downloading, streaming, torrenting, and all the various programs that help one to interact with such things.

Set the files in the torrent to "don't download"

But your issue with the ratio enforcement and tracking site (yes, they effectively spy on you) is common to all the ones that have administrators that don't understand how the protocol works.

One last thing, Harold--do I need to close this case/question, and is there some way I may give you and "spamcatcher" some official credit/thanks for helping me with this matter? I searched, but didn't see any obvious "Close" or "Thanks" button, etc.

I've always envisioned my self as an unsung hero, behind the scenes type of person.

Believe me, you've thanked me plenty already.

My advice would be to just explore all the features of the interface and the drop down "Options" menu. Check/uncheck the toolbars and see whats there.

I just played with it and figured it out as far as what I could use it for. Those guys on the sync forum are on a totally different level. They probably make BIG $s too! I was wondering just today, how long it took them to get all that knowledge.

It was good talking to you, and glad I was of some help.

I guess there are tutorials and guides for BitTorrent Free and all the other products.

There are videos and guides and user manuals located in the help dropdown on the BitTorrent website.

I'm not real great at following online directions, often find I need directions for the directions. That's why I wish there was some course in video for the computer I may take at a brick & mortar school, preferably with an instructor who knows all about torrents and modern video recording methods and programs. Thank you, though.

Hi Jimmo

If you ask that question on the sync forum, you might get a plus response. Those guys are all teachers and instructors of one form or another. If they can't help you personally, they should know where help is.

Then too, they might just kick you off. Nothing ventured....

Archived