PAUSE and RESUME functions are broken

eccoboy

Before 7.8...

I could pause all torrents, shut of my pc, and the next time I turn it on all torrents would automatically resume EXCEPT for those that are "FINISHED" (stopped). Now when bittorrent starts, all torrents are in "FINISHED" status even though I had only paused them, OR if they are still paused, to get them going again I select "RESUME ALL TORRENTS" which, in the past, would resume all torrents that weren't "FINISHED" (stopped). Now, "RESUME ALL TORRENTS" changes everything from "PAUSED" to "FINISHED". And to get them going again I have to select all torrents and then "START", which puts everything in a "QUEUED" status and nothing downloads or uploads. And to get them out of "QUEUED" status I have to select "FORCE START" for everything. So then I have dozens of torrents seeding, including the ones that I wanted stopped and in "FINISHED" status.

In summary, the pause and resume feature is now broken, or something changed that I need to change back. Suggestions please?

One more thing: while all this is happening my tray icon shows download speeds of 30-50kB/s when nothing is being downloaded.

I've got a suggestion.

After, you select which torrents are "Finished" and which torrents are "Paused", go up to the top of the "Status" column and click it so that all the "Finished" and "Paused" are grouped together. Then shutdown.

When you come back, you'll just highlite all the "Paused" by dragging your pointer over the affected torrents, and re-pause them or start them or whatever. All the paused will be grouped to gether so that 1 command will take care of all of them at once.

I only have 2 torrents on board myself, so I can't test my suggestion, but I think it would work.

I pulled 7.7.2 out of the trash and re-installed. The torrents don't change to "Finished" after being paused and I restart, nor do I see that 30-50kb/s upload garbage.

BUT, when I start windows the torrents are all still in "Queued Seeding" status. Since I only allow a certain number of torrents to seed at once, the program then slowly goes through each torrent looking for one that someone is attempting to download. The program either finds one and starts uploading or if no one is downloading then the program moves to the next. In both cases the status changes from "Queued Seeding" to "seeding".

After a few hours, all of the torrents are back to "seeding" status with only a handful actually uploading data. This is how it should be immediately when I start windows. Torrents that people want to download should start seeding right away. Instead, I have zero kb/s upload because everything is stuck in "queued" status until the program finds one to seed.

I am guessing something is messed and I'll need to totally wipe it all and reinstall. I haven't yet tried stopping the torrents I don't want to seed anymore so I don't know if that issue is corrected or not.

Yes I've been using 7.7.2 ever since I started. (I never update any program, just because an update is available)

I've never had anything that I would call a problem with 772.

I've had that Queued Seeding thing happen once, but it went away by itself. However I don't keep seeding indefinitely. I eventually remove the torrents from my list.

BT is the one that decides who gets what. I too, don't understsnd BT's reasoning, but I know that eventually I'll get beyond my seeding goals(Avg 5.0 to 1). If it takes 3 days or a week or 2, so be it.

I have this new computer that I just got a month ago with Win7 and I'm working in "virtual" XP Mode. I'm now getting alot higher upspeeds than I ever got on my old IBM. But BT still decides which user gets what. I have been able to "wake up" some 0% uploading torrents by clicking the "stop" and then clicking the "on" commands. That seems to work. I can go from uploading 0.02kb/s to uploading 150+kb/s within 30 seconds time. I'm not breaking the sound barrier, but my normal max is 130kb/s and after the "off/on" I can go as high as 250kb/s.

Most likely the queued seeding thing will go away as you add new torrents and remove old ones. And do stay with 772. I mean...there was certainly nothing wrong with 772, and there seems to be a rash of complaints about 7.8.

Upgrading and updating doesn't mean better...it just means current. Just my 2 cents worth.

One more thing; from reading you posts, it sounds like you are not watching the details...peers...trackers...info tabs.

If you are please disregard, but remember its not always the instance where you can't upload...just as often its a problem with the peer being unable to accept your upload.

The specific problem is that all torrents start in queued seed status when bittorrent starts. They should all be in seeding status.

Manual Fix: change the active torrent limit to 800 and all of my torrents will then start seeding. A few dozen will be actively uploading data. Then change the limit back to 8 and everything will be back to normal. At least until I shutdown windows.

• 3 weeks later...

*Fixed

Using ver 7.7

Selected all "queued seed" torrents, then clicked "Force Start". Using force start still obeys the active torrent limit (set to 8).

I can now select "pause all torrents" and later if I select "resume all torrents", all torrents go back to seeding status except for those that are stopped (finished status). And if I shutdown Windows, the next time I start Windows the torrents will immediatley resume seeding and those that are stopped remain stopped.

So it's now back to how it was. I can only assume that something went wrong with the update to 7.8 but I don't know for sure. I certainly won't be updating again.

No it doesn't.

That's what I thought which is why I didn't try it at first. I'm pretty sure that in the past force start always ignored the active torrent limit. But right now I have 692 torrents set to force seeding and only 8 will actually seed at one time so I'm happy.

You have other settings interfering.

Which settings might that be?

Scheduler is not enabled.

"stop transfers on user interaction" isn't an option that I can find. I did a search for that option and it should be under Bandwidth, Global rate limit options but it's not there. I'm using BitTorrent 7.7

Archived