Have you had a DMCA notice.

Larneman

Wondering if any other users have had a DMCA notice when using BitTorrent.

I use VPN account to mask my IP identity, so the DMCA notice was sent VPN provider.

They forwarded it to me and blocked my account.

They only unblocked if I agree never to do any thing that would get me DMCA notice.

Another DMCA notice and I will be kicked off their service.

I am wondering did they find me because the "torrent" I was using to download had the real program name in. Or was it that I allowed the download to be shared.

How can I avoid being traced??...

Wondering if any other users have had a DMCA notice when using BitTorrent.

I use VPN account to mask my IP identity, so the DMCA notice was sent VPN provider.

They forwarded it to me and blocked my account.

They only unblocked if I agree never to do any thing that would get me DMCA notice.

Another DMCA notice and I will be kicked off their service.

I am wondering did they find me because the "torrent" I was using to download had the real program name in. Or was it that I allowed the download to be shared.

How can I avoid being traced??...

Would you mind sharing the VPN? Big reason for this question is to find out of the VPN says they do not keep logs. How else would the VPN know who allegedly connected to what, at what time, and used x-bandwidth if the VPN does not keep logs?

Thanks!

ADDED

Also are you for real that a letter was sent to your VPN and they in turn contacted you?

Just as likely you are paid by HBO to post in forums, or some contractor paid by HBO.

Can you post that email?

Use a VPN provider located in Europe, and use tor to search for torrents, but i agree with Mrwounderful, it is more likly that you are not being up front. But just in case you are, read torrentfreak.com and here is a good story from them http://torrentfreak.com/finland-writes-history-with-crowdsourced-copyright-law-130722/

• 4 months later...

MrWonderful - I agree with Larneman as to the notification.  I received exactly the same type of letter from my VPN -- StrongVPN although they did not cut me off for the first offense.  The notification also came from d/l two HBO programs.  I was using L2TP but my server site was located Miami.  zwitterion - appreciate the link to better understand the system to become safe.---------Thanks for contributing.

• 4 months later...

Though they are pay-for sites, torrentfreak.com lists the top VPN providers, some of whom comply with DMCA laws, but most don't. You can find the article at http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition/

Most of these sites are 100% guaranteed, but do a little research to find which one's right for you. I haven't purchased it yet, but I'm looking into BT Guard. It seems like the most comprehensive VPN for the best value. IPVanish looks pretty good too. I'll repost once I've actually purchased one of these and tested it out.

• 1 month later...

Finally found a place to ask a Q and hopefully get HELP! {please redirect me to the correct place to post)

I got an Email from Comcast, stating I was downloading thru Bit Torrent copyrighted material: ELEMENTARY (season, episode).

I would like to know if there is a way to keep them from finding me and my downloading programs. Is it something I can do to mask the programs?

Archived