Auto closing causes window to no longer appear

HiFiSi

I'm having this problem with both the BitTorrent AND the µTorrent clients. When I set the program to close automatically after all torrents are complete, it does. So in that area, it works correctly. BUT, the next time I go to use the program I can not see the program window. Double clicking the icon in my start menu (or the program files folder, or on my desktop) will actually start the program, but I cannot see it. The process will show up in my task manager, but there will be no tray icon, nothing on my task bar, and no window for it. This happens on three different machines. Two running Windows 7 64 bit, and one running Windows 7 32 bit. The only way I can get the program window to be visible again is to delete the utorrent folder in user>appdata>roaming... basically deleting all of the saved settings so the program behaves as if it was just installed.

Is there any way to fix this?

Yes, it is happening with the latest versions of both the BitTorrent and the µTorrent clients.

I first noticed this happening on my main computer (Win7 64bit) with an older version of BitTorrent installed. So I upgraded that BitTorrent client to the latest version available, and it was still happening. Then I installed a brand new download of the latest version of BitTorrent on my laptop computer (Win7 64bit) and it happened on that computer as well. Then the next day at work, I downloaded & installed the latest version of µTorrent on my work computer (Win7 32bit) and still this issue was showing up.

Computer 1, 64 bit, old version of BitTorrent

Computer 1, 64 bit, current version of BitTorrent

Computer 2, 64 bit, current version of BitTorrent

Computer 3, 32 bit, current version of µTorrent

At this point I'm chalking it up to a problem with the software, seeing as I have tried 3 versions of the software on 3 different computers and it happens on all of them.

Does the icon show up when you click the arrow next to the tray icons (by the clock on the taskbar)?

If it does and you'd like it to show up without clicking the arrow, you can click customize and change the settings to "Show icon and notifications".

^ that doesn't really have anything to do with this problem. My problem is that using the automatic exit function causes the program to run invisible (no window, no taskbar entry, no tray icon, despite the program actually running according to task manager) the next time I start it up and the only way to get it back to normal is to delete the folder where all of it's settings are saved.

I don't know if there is a warning window or not, since I'm not there when the program shuts down. If I was there, I wouldn't need the program to shut itself down automatically.

As far as versions go, I tried BitTorrent 7.2.1, BitTorrent 6.2 (hard to remember which one it was, I think that was it), and µTorrent 2.2.1

Like I said... I am using the latest versions of both bittorrent (7.2.1) and µTorrent (2.2.1). It was also happening on an older version of Bittorrent (6.2.?) before I upgraded it to this latest version in an attempt to fix the problem.

So, to clear this up, I have tried the following combinations:

Bittorrent 6.2.x (not sure of the exact revision number)

Windows 7 64 bit

Windows XP 32 bit

Bittorrent 7.2.1

Windows 7 64 bit (upgraded from 6.2.x on one computer, installed a new copy on a 2nd computer)

Windows 7 32 bit

Windows XP 32 bit (upgraded from 6.2.x)

µTorrent 2.2.1

Windows 7 64 bit (2 different computers)

Windows 7 32 bit

Windows XP 32 bit

The bottom line is, I've tried multiple different versions of the software on multiple different operating systems/computers, and the same problem happens on every combination of software & OS.

Let me clarify my last post since it was apparently completely incoherent:

Please go to your computer and open up your client. If you can't open your client, close it (do it manually from task manager if you have to to make sure the process is no longer running), and then install from the website.

go to help->about

In the menu on the top row of the application, click "Help". This will give you a drop-down menu. Click "About uTorrent" or "About BitTorrent".

It should list the build version you're using.

On the pop-up box, right under the logo, it should say what version and build. For example, "BitTorrent 7.2.1 (build 25213)"

That said, if you had to do a fresh install (as described in the first paragraph), please also check to make sure you're still having the same problem with it before reporting it. Thanks.

Currently running BT 7.2.1 build 25138 on two of the machines. I don't know which utorrent build I was using because I uninstalled it.

And yes, I'm still having this problem on fresh installs. I originally had an old 6.2 version installed on 2 computers. On my main I noticed the problem (it was the first time I had tried to use this feature) so I checked on my laptop and it had the same problem. So I updated the install on both computers to 7.2.1, and it was still there on both. Then I completely uninstalled the program, cleared all the temp files, etc., and downloaded & installed a new copy of 7.2.1 on my main computer... and it was still there. So then I uninstalled everything from both computers, downloaded the latest copy of both bittorrent and utorrent, installed them on 4 different computers (not at the same time), and the problem was there with the most current version & build of both programs on all 4 computers.

I really don't know... I've pretty much just accepted that this feature is not going to work for me. I mean... how could it possible be a problem on my end if it's happening with fresh installes of both programs on 4 different computers with different operating systems?

I still can't reproduce your problem, but when you erased all information, did you also remove all files from your appdata?

It's typically a hidden folder so you'll have to un-hide it in your folder options.

Should be somewhere like, C:/Users/yourname/AppData/ .. look through your folders until you find bittorrent/utorrent.

Yep. I definitely know where app data folder is. Since the only way for me to make the program visible again after this happens is to delete it's app data folder to reset it to default settings. My process for removing a program from my system is: Uninstall program, delete program files folder (if still there), delete all saved/app data, restart system and clear out all registry entries rendered "unused" as a result of deleting the program.

Just to clarify, I'm not using the "SHUT DOWN when everything completes" option. I'm using the "QUIT when everything completes" option.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This happens with me too.When i boot into win7 the bittorrent window shows up.But when i close it it doesn't show up in the taskbar although bittorent is running as per taskmanager.However when i 'end-process' bittorrent and run it again it shows up in the taskbar.

• 2 weeks later...

same problem for me; i see exe in processes but no window, no try icon is visible. tried latest version of bittorrent and utorrent; nothing use; even i can't terminate exe in processes :( it says access denied; after lot of time spent, i uninstalled

Archived