A few general questions about torrenting principles

satyr

Hel all, I am relatively new to using .torrents and although I am quite knowledgeable in computing, I do not understand a few things regarding basics of torrenting. As the topic description says, I am interested for example about how moving/renaming files (or renaming the .torrent file itself) affects other users (i.e. "peers") of some "swarm".

You see, I like to have things organized my way (e.g. files named and structured into directories as I want to) and not as they were downloaded, and therefore I usually rename both, the files downloaded with BitTorrent and the.torrent file itself (actually, I rather create a new one). Oh and regarding creating a new one, usually I don't include various "FAQ.txt" and such nonsense files, so in the end there are no more multiple files under "\Some_movie\" directory, but rather just "Some_movie.avi" for which I create the .torrent.

So my question is, after you announce to trackers this new .torrent which of course contains - at least one - identical files (by content, not by file name) as already existing .torrent files available to download (and findable by search engines) on the Internet, will the "community" know that this is actually the same file? Will it be included into the respective "swarm"?

Because I noticed, that if there were e.g. 20 seeds in the swarm for one particular .torrent, after I rename the files (and/or move them), and create a new .torrent, then it's just me who's seeding.

Thanks in advance, satyr

Also, I noticed that trackers used by BitTorrent don't work really well (or at all). I know that you musn't "update" too often because there's too much traffic for the trackers' servers and so I've tried just a few times.

But it's always "working" (or briefly "announcing..."), "Connection timed out.", or "No such host is known."

P.S. Or maybe "working" means that everything is as it should be (i.e. that the tracker is working OK)?

• 1 month later...
So my question is, after you announce to trackers this new .torrent which of course contains - at least one - identical files (by content, not by file name) as already existing .torrent files available to download (and findable by search engines) on the Internet, will the "community" know that this is actually the same file? Will it be included into the respective "swarm"?

Because torrents do not include per-file hashing information, only per-piece, the "community" will not actually know that the files are identical and it won't get included into the respective swarm.

Archived