A Newer Version Of Bittorrent Is Already Running. Please, Shut Down Bitorrent And Try Again

IdPezzo

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having this same problem. The only difference is my computer also will not allow me to uninstall BitTorrent from Programs and Features. I would really appreciate a response since I cannot download any torrents currently. All this happened after I deleted a very large torrent in progress of downloading.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same exact problem! And my computer will not allow me to uninstall BitTorrent from programs; tells me only the Administrator can do it!

I have no idea what caused it. My only solution (short-lived) is to reboot and a message comes up about the newer program and  I click "NO". This works for a little while then when I try to download something, the  message starts up again.

Help!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I am having this same problem.

"A newer version of BitTorrent, 7.9.3 build 40299 is already installed. Would yo like to downgrade to 7.9.2 build 38657?

I am leary of answering Yes to such a request. Is it really from bittorrent or a scam?

I have experienced this on a couple of files recently, I do not know if it happens for all.

I did go to bittorrent and load the most current version and still have the same messge.

I will go back and see if I can get the older version directly there.

• 1 month later...

What's going on is that the associations you have for torrents is pointing at the wrong location.

Run the current version of BitTorrent and reset the associations to point at the new version.

A Newer Version Of Bittorrent Is Already Running. Please, Shut Down Bitorrent And Try Again

Please explain on how to Run the current version of BitTorrent and reset the associations to point at the new version.

• 5 months later...

I've managed to solve this issue this way: I've ran bittorrent with administrative privileges and then I clicked on YES in order to downgrade to previous version. After that I went to Help-> Check for updates and upgraded to newest version. Since then it works perfectly fine. I guess bittorrent wasn't able to change a file or something because of permissions, in order to update the version.

• 2 weeks later...

I did that and got the error message popup :  " Bit Torrent failed to update. Please try again. "  Then when I did, this message: " Pro install in  progress. Updates will be available shortly."  Then "Downloading the Pro Package failed. Connection closed by peer."   

Moreover I can't uninstall Bit Torrent (and then reinstall), as I get this message: "You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Bit Torrent. Please contact your system administrator. "  Well, I am the sys admin on my own PC ! Other programs install and uninstall.   

Is this Microsoft messing with our torrent software ?  Or is BT crap ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured out how to fix this properly.  press control+alt+delete and then click on task manger.  after that find bit torrent in task manger and click on it. then click on the "end task" button and this will allow you to run bit torrent again.

I may have discovered a permanent fix for this problem.

Simply go to BitTorrent program file (it's "C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent"). There, you'll find a  "updates" folder. Open it and you'll see two or more bittorrent .exe files with different version numbers. The file names will be something like "7.9.6_XXXXX" (these last numbers = version number). Delete the files with lower version numbers and leave the one with the higher number, which is the most recent version. 

It worked for me, but even if it doesn't fix your problem, the risk of damaging the app by doing this is minimal because those are older versions anyway.

Report back if this has worked for you guys,

• 3 weeks later...

Archived