The Service Does Not Sync My Messages Across My Devices

lindhe

I've noticed that my messages are not shown to me on my other devices.

Say I for example start a conversation on my PC and then continues on my phone. Then I can see (at least if the client was active on my phone the whole time) all of my partners messages on my phone, but non of the messages that I sent from my PC. This needs to be fixed for Bleep to be used as a daily messaging service. 

i wouldnt wait for that feature, probably not going to happen.

if you want truly secure communication you have to pass on some conveniences.

First off this is not a service meant for only those that can not live outside of the Thor network and is very tech-savvy, but are very much regular everyday users (On http://labs.bittorrent.com/bleep/ they say that it's "Easy, private and fun". Not really marketed to the most obscure privacy-freaks, is it?), and these users will never adopt a service that offers less than facebook chat. Secure is just a plus to them, not a deal breaker.

Secondly I do not agree that this is so much a question about security. The partners messages are shared across all my active devices, so from your point of view it would already have failed security wise. I see no reason to why distributing my messages would be a security hole more than distributing my partners messages would be. And I believe this could be quite easily achieved in a secure way with the p2p technique used in bittorrent.

i dont have a smart phone so i never tryed what you are talking about.

what people want, and what is doable are 2 different things.

it is as to my knowledge quite impossible to give the EXACT same feel and features like for example facebook, a standard messaging service. at least for now.

thats why you cant write offline messages right now, cause for that you would need a server to store the message until it can be delivered when your chat partner comes online. servers are not secure, so bleep doesnt use them.

of course you could sync messages and files between your computer and phone, but for that BOTH devices have to be online, cause you dont have servers.

somewhere i read that they try to store things in the DHT network, or something like that. but to my knowledge no one has done this until now, and i bet even that comes with restrictions.

if it would be so EASY to write a software who can do all the things you can do with the CLOUD, but without the CLOUD and is 99,9999% save, i think it would already be done.

actually there is nothing synced between your computer and the phone. when your partner writes a msg both the computer and phone receive it. its not shared between computer and phone. its like writing an email to 2 people.

but if your computer is turned off it doesnt receive the msg, only your phone. try it.

what people want, and what is doable are 2 different things.

That is true, but I firmly believe that a product that people are not willing to use never is a good product.

it is as to my knowledge quite impossible to give the EXACT same feel and features like for example facebook, a standard messaging service. at least for now.

thats why you cant write offline messages right now, cause for that you would need a server to store the message until it can be delivered when your chat partner comes online. servers are not secure, so bleep doesnt use them.

Yes, I know. But it is definitely not the reason why you can't write offline messages. That I would also say is a bug. Sure, it's not possible to send it when the partner is offline, but that should definitely not grey out the text field but just the send button. It's really annoying to not being able to finish writing the message until the connection is up again, but for me that's a much smaller issue that what I posted in my original post.

of course you could sync messages and files between your computer and phone, but for that BOTH devices have to be online, cause you dont have servers.

Yes, this is all I expect for the time being. Messages being synced between online devices that is registered to me and my partner. This is exactly the fix I am now waiting for.

somewhere i read that they try to store things in the DHT network, or something like that. but to my knowledge no one has done this until now, and i bet even that comes with restrictions.

Cool! :) I was hoping that this was in development, but I was not sure. However, I do not expect that kind of fancy technology this early on.

actually there is nothing synced between your computer and the phone. when your partner writes a msg both the computer and phone receive it. its not shared between computer and phone. its like writing an email to 2 people.

but if your computer is turned off it doesnt receive the msg, only your phone. try it.

Well of course. :) To me that's obvious, but maybe not for everyone.

This is also a feature I would like to see, it is very convenient in iMessage e.g. to have the same message appear on every device.

I also think this behavior is what users today would expect. They have iPhones, iPads, laptops and these days messages are very much like email in that it follows us around where we go. In fact a great number of the new messaging systems are actively trying to market themselves as email killers (Slack springs to mind).

Looking at more mainstream competitors like WhatsApp, which is insanely huge here in Brazil. it is, literally, the only means of online communication for many people here, and even TV networks use it to connect with users during broadcasts. Granted the market in Brazil is a bit special, we have fairly poor data networks and connectivity for mobile is expensive when it is available (as compared to average income***) but most people can get in range of wifi once per day to process messages. Alternatively they can get online at work but are likely to be limited in ability to install applications - on the plus side Chrome seems to be wildly popular such at least this isn't hogtied to some ancient version of IE and modern HTML5 standards can be expected to be supported.

Thus async messages and access via e.g. a web browser would be additionally required to penetrate the market. WhatsApp is largely big here because it is very reasonably priced and it runs on everything. 

I think Bleep has a good chance of winning users here though, with the NSA spying creating some awareness of privacy. Also very helpful is the political pressure being put on issues like net neutrality (A mandate for which was recently signed into law) meaning there is likely little ISPs can do to block Bleep traffic or otherwise impede P2P technology.

As for the storing data in the DHT network, I think that this is possible. There are projects out there which do this today, e.g. Gitchain is a project to run the Git source management system with objects stored in the DHT network (if I understand this correctly).

See: https://github.com/gitchain/gitchain

I think this isn't a killer feature not a baseline must have feature this day in age and as can be seen, for many places around the world async messages and good cross platform coverage are too. 

*** In absolute terms, I can get unlimited Internet access on my phone for $0.25/day. Unlimited meaning 10MB at 3G speeds and the rest of the day throttled to 1-2kb/s (which btw. eats battery like you would not believe it). 4G is being rolled out in the major cities but it is out of reach for most average citizens currently. Unlimited text messaging is an additional $0.25/day. You pay only for days you activate the services making this very affordable for occasional use, plans for daily use of both are available but should not be expected to be common.

Smartphone ownership is about 14% of the population (some 27 million) and of those 74% are accessing the Internet every day on their phones (for smartphone defined as at least some means of low end Android device - expect Android 2.x to be predominate and updates to be nowhere in sight, security disaster waiting to happen, you bet).

No sync across devices and no offline messages = unusable to me (and most users I know). I can't believe there are so many solutions on the market (tox, bleep, bitmessage, torchat etc. etc.) which get one thing (encryption) right but utterly fail at everything (usability) else.  I understand there is a trade-off between security and usability but there must be some level of compromise possible there.

As we mentioned in various posts the support for multi-device is limited in this alpha version. We are gradually adding features that we need to support multi-device properly (i.e. adding any type of device to your account, syncing messages between all of your devices, device management, etc). 

It's exciting to see that features that we are working on are actually the ones that our users are interested in.

As we mentioned in various posts the support for multi-device is limited in this alpha version. We are gradually adding features that we need to support multi-device properly (i.e. adding any type of device to your account, syncing messages between all of your devices, device management, etc). 

It's exciting to see that features that we are working on are actually the ones that our users are interested in.

Good to hear!

Archived