Stuck On 0.0% Connecting To Peers (Dht Waiting To Log In)

Tenebrae

About a week ago my downloads would stop dead in their tracks being stuck at "0.0 % connecting to peers". I already forwarded my port (on a static IP), made exceptions to my windows firewall, reinstalled bittorrent,... I tested this with the Slackware Linux-torrents also.

Is there something simple (or complex) I'm missing?
I would be very grateful for any help.

I have the free version of avast! installed.
I tried running the torrents while temporarily disabling the anti-virus, but to no avail.

I don't know if it has anything to do with my problem, but when running the installation guide, I get a time-out 10060 error code for the bandwith test, while the network test is fine. 

The problem persists even when I disable my windows firewall and uninstall avast! (I also looked for any traces of previous anti-virusprograms). I share my provider with over half of my country and none of my friends seem to experience the problem, but it may still mean that they're targeting random users or something and I just have bad luck. 

Thank you for you're time regardless. I'll post again if I do stumble on a solution for my problem.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem as above and cannot sort it. I am not a techno, so am really struggling for an answer. I'm on windows 8.0 using a brand new HP computer. I've tried different servers to no avail. I'm in Thailand, but all the others out here that use utorrent don't have a problem. I didn't have these problems when I first started using it, but it just happened out of the blue. I think it was after an update. I've even tried loading an older version but that doesn't work either. One of you out there must have a solution. When I got this computer last week, I uploaded utorrent and it worked fine, but then after various updates ( I don't know what was updating ) it stopped again. When I open utorrent, D and U start up but then reduce down to 0.0 and the 1 node ( waiting to log in ) sign appears. Can someone please help and explain a solution in easy to understand terms. Thanks in anticipation!!

• 3 weeks later...

A question; have you ever gotten bitTorrent to work with your current internet provider and setup? I started having the same problem about a week ago. It started when, after continuous problems with my Frontier service cutting on and off, I found the problem was with the firmware on my router (the issue with bitTorrent was NOT with any firmware, so please don't run off and update your firmware). After thinking about it for a while, I remembered I previously (several years ago) had an issue where bittorrent would not connect because my router's firewall was turned on. So I went to my router's webpage and, sure enough, the firmware upgrade had turned my router's firewall on. After turning it off my BitTorrent instantly started working. If you have never gotten BitTorrent to work with your current setup or had any changes done with your router I would suggest looking into whether you router's firewall is turned on. A quick web search on turning off your router's firewall (or the more advanced route of adding exception to your router's firewall) should produce several guides on how to do it. Remember you are only turning off your router's firewall and your computer's firewall should remain on.

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue and found that a recent update of Peergaurdian had blocked my DHT. I looked through the blocked list (real time) and found my internal ip and port used for Utorrent was listed so I put an exemption in and now everything is back to normal. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem but it is intermittent. I am in China and the problem is NOT the great firewall of China. If I turn on my VPN, even using a Chinese server, it will work. The problem is my VPN is limited to 50 Gig a month,and I hate to waste bandwidth sharing.

Anyways, sometimes if I turn on my VPN I'll connect to the seeds and peers and then the download will continue with the VPN off. Other times I can only download with the VPN on. And other times I can download without a VPN at all. Yet lately I can only download with a VPN on.

Any suggestions? I do have GREEN LIGHT (for DHT connection) but a YELLOW light for blocked ports..

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows why this happens?

I have a VPN and three different torrent clients - Bittorrent included - and I am getting the same message. 

Also, sometimes it works for a short time and then drops out again, as does my VPN software but not always at the same time. Sometimes Bittorrent won't even load.

My provider is a joke, I am on FTTN (fibre connection for the block of houses not just one house) is there some way the Node is fucking up the DHT login, if so, why only sometimes?

Also my connection drops out dozens of time a day - but not at the same time as the DHT waiting to login problem.

Very confused. 

1. Could this be some kind of driver filter OR

2. Is this some kind of port filter OR

3. Is this a broken hijack attempt OR

4. Is there any way for me to chat with someone who knows about this stuff (and knows it is none of the above)?

Please help.

Mike.

Archived