Won't find or link peers

Tom Urich

15 hours ago, Harold Feit said:

Screenshot please.

I already sent one - here it is again.

4 hours ago, Harold Feit said:

That doesn't show the trackers tab.

Now it does.  Seems like the newest Windows 10 examines ALL incoming connections and must scan them before allowing a port to open.  I also noted that for 2 minutes it gave an error message in the lower left corner - then it went away.

Download Snowden successfully.  We'll see what it does with other torrents.

Thanks

Tom Urich

Ann Arbor MI

trackerscreen.png

I'm having the same problem with connecting to peers since 1/1/17.  I tried to upload a screenshot but it won't upload.  

Here's what the tracker tab says:

[DHT]                                             not allowed

[Local peer discovery]                    not allowed

[Peer exchange]                             not allowed

http://b1.dimeadozen....                  an attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

I have the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8. I have changed the settings in Windows where it allows previous versions of programs.  

I am not awfully clever at these things, as you can tell, but I found three Bit Torrent entries in the Firewall (at first I only found one) – and had to allow all three to pass the Firewall.

But I had to un-install the Bit Torrent program.

Then re-installed it, and then changed the Firewall settings and it works fine.

I don’t know why changing the settings in the Firewall didn’t work before I re-installed the program –but it works fine now.

1 hour ago, Harold Feit said:

Try with norton temporarily uninstalled.

I had Norton run through everything, disable Norton and they told me Norton would not block BitTorrent again.  But apparently it still does.  I keep getting an error message saying BitTorrent can't connect to the Internet.  By the way, why doesn't anyone at BitTorrent return a phone call or respond to e-mail sent through the BitTorrent help link?

It obviously wasn't me you were talking to on that front, because the only way that 3rd party internet security software stops interfering fully is by uninstalling it, which is why I said "temporarily uninstalled" above and not "disabled"

And this is before my "norton might as well be a virus itself at this point" talk even hits the table.

4 hours ago, Harold Feit said:

It obviously wasn't me you were talking to on that front, because the only way that 3rd party internet security software stops interfering fully is by uninstalling it, which is why I said "temporarily uninstalled" above and not "disabled"

And this is before my "norton might as well be a virus itself at this point" talk even hits the table.

I do not have any antivirus other than Windows Defender currently.  I completely uninstalled McAfee which of course requires a re-boot.  The "Snowden" clips came through with no problem, so the Windows Defender is not the culprit.

I make no claims against antivirus hoaxes and wannabees.  I just want to figure out why BitTorrent does not even connect with the SuSE Linux server (known safe) and others that are cleanly obtained .torrent files.  I DID get trapped by one fake - ANONURE (or whatever) and that was a total system rebuild.  My Windows 10 machine is newly re-installed with an HP USB stick load received less than a week ago.

Thanks, Harold, for your continued suggestions.  Ich wuensche ihnen eine schoene tag noch.

Given the way Norton (and most other internet security software for that matter) behaves with updates, it probably will work with it uninstalled, and if it does, and you insist on reinstalling Norton (which I don't recommend and haven't for years at this point) then you need to re-do the exceptions for BitTorrent in Norton (remove and re-add them)

Archived