Settings For Faster Downloads

Frazier

Hello,

I am new to this and am just trying to find some settings that will help with faster downloads? I have tried a few different things, Youtube, Port forwarding, I'm thinking I have the settings messed up somehow because the downloads are slow. Needing a little tune up on correct settings.

Thanks,

Frazier

I'm thinking I have the settings messed up somehow because the downloads are slow.

You have, because of:

Youtube

You're going to need to, with bittorrent completely closed, delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old from %appdata%\bittorrent and start your settings over.

Follow

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404

Remember, you'll never get download speed any faster than your original internet speed. If you couldn't figure out how to bring your default settings, or if you are not satisfied that you've turned it to default, re-install your BT. Make sure to stop all active downloads and save your partially downloaded files and their torrent files before re-installation.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I stupidly changed the settings in the bandwidth, advnaced settings eventhough i was able to reach speeds of 500k/bs. Now, I am lucky to get 100k/bs. I wished I would have seen this thread before so I have a few questions.

Fisrt of, my system: Acer laptop, using bittorrent 7.7.3 and windows 7. 8gb ram and 64ogb hdd.

1) I see Harold advised Frazier to search in windows explorer the following: %appdata%\bittorrent. Nothing is bought back so I am unable to delete the details as described above

2) If i am able to delete the .dat and .dat.old will that interfere with any current downloads I have? In other words, if i were to stop now and delete the 2 .dat files will I lose what I have currently downloaded?

3) I did change the port (in the connection section as it appeared better in the 5xxxxx and also 4xxxxx) but i also did change the bandwidth details so the number of connections, number of connected peers and upload slots per torrent were not the default. I changed them to 200, 100 and 100 respectively.

After reading the detailed information provided in the above links, I do have a couple of additional questions (sorry to go on!!). To get the best download speed, was I right in seeing that you have to get the upload rate spot on? Otherwise it may cause the others you are trying to connect to, download from fluctuate alot? As that is was I am seeing now, it will go from 50k/bs right up to 450k/bs then drop drastically, up until I changed all the settings it was quite stable on good downloads and I was able to acheive about 550 and the max I ever got was 590k/bs. I tried the test and my max upload was 270k/bs so would i need to get 80% of that and set that as my max upload rate in order to achive good download speed?

I really am sorry or sound like a noob for this but I should have stuck with the addage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Thanks in advance.

No. In the address bar.

Think I have it now! Thanks Harold!

So, would deleting the .dt and .dat.old affect what I am downloading now? Is it best to wait until after I have downloaded?

Also, for the calculation for the max upload was my understanding correct? Or should I go 1 step at a time? Delete the .dat files first?

Thanks again!

the settings.dat and .dat.old would not, resume.dat would.

100 upload slots per torrent is a MASSIVE waste. You're better off with 4 there.

Follow the guides I linked after deleting the settings files.

Thanks Harold, am about to delete the .dat and .dat.old files.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived