Slow Download, Port Not Open (after setting up static IP & open port)

Nadine113

Hi All,

I'm getting ridiculously low download speeds, under 10 kB/s and mostly under 1 kB/s! For some reason when I first start the torrent it is downloading really fast, then within 10 minutes or less it drops to this minuscule speed.

I went through all the steps of setting up a static IP address, and creating specific port exceptions in Windows Firewall (which is the only firewall I use) as well as creating an open port setting on my router. 

I've also deleted the settings.dat & settings.dat.old files several times and restarted the torrent.

Again, every time I do restart it it starts out downloading really fast (600 kB/s to 1.2 Mb/s) and then shortly slows down to >1 kB/s, according to the speed indicator within the program.

It shows connected to between 50-100 of (450+) peers each time, and 0 of (58) seeds, which may be the problem, but if so, why would it start out downloading really fast and then drop to almost nothing?

Sometimes it shows port open when I do the reset (deleting the settings files) and sometimes it shows port is closed, even though I created those port exceptions.

I really don't know what else to do. Help?

Thanks,

Nadine

The status bar indicator is more conclusive than the speed guide port tester right now.

It shows connected to between 50-100 of (450+) peers each time, and 0 of (58) seeds, which may be the problem, but if so, why would it start out downloading really fast and then drop to almost nothing?

Because the 58 seeds aren't actually there, and availability isn't high enough to complete without them.

Do torrents from http://slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php exhibit the same behavior?

Archived